Friday, December 20, 2013

Loading the Kilns

The Boss told me that my kiln loading skills have improved since last year - I'm packing pots a lot tighter, which is good because it'll save some money in the long run.

I'm starting to stack pots inside of each other for the bisque kiln, which is fantastic - somehow I like seeing how they nestle and how many I can stack together.


Judy, who teaches the ceramics class I'm taking alongside my internship, mentioned that she knows a potter who doesn't even use shelves - he stacks all of his pots. I suppose that works if you know what you're making and putting into the kiln; who knows if something will explode or fall to pieces. Also a lesson learned - one of my bowls (porcelain) shrunk around my classmate's pot (brown clay). Different clays have different shrinking rates! Mine had to be broken off the other pot. Oh well! Live and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment